Sodium containing ingredients are often used for a variety of functional purposes in product formulations. This makes reducing total levels in reformulations very challenging. Knowledge of protein, fat and carbohydrate behavior to maximize performance of interactions with sodium based ingredients and product formulations is integral for delivering optimal solutions.
There is a perception that eliminating or reducing sodium can adversely affect flavor and texture. Many global manufacturers are actively working to reduce sodium, even if not claimed on the label.
Global mandates are driving industry change and influencing consumer habits. The World Health Organization has recommended a global reduction in sodium intake.1
countries have reduced sodium and/or bought more low sodium products, in the last year, to try to be healthier.
countries have set sodium target levels on processed foods.
ACTIVE CHANGES CAN BE SEEN:
- Government Agencies
- Country specific regulations
- Retail Guidelines
- Increased Consumer Education
- Packaging/Product Labeling
- Corporate Initiatives
Due to its unique structure and balance of cations, Salona delivers acceptable flavor in many applications and markets. In addition to its benefit for sodium reduction, Salona provides both magnesium and potassium for fortification, both key minerals associated with health benefits.
Extensive sensory work to fully characterize the flavor of Salona compared to NaCl and KCl shows that with its complementary mineral salts, Salona achieves a balanced sensory profile that minimizes off flavors which may be associated with other salt replacers.
Meat, Poultry, Seafood (MPS) Open/Close
If salt levels are reduced a replacement is necessary in order to achieve a comparable effect on the final product. To a great extent this can be achieved utilizing potassium phosphate specialties and or reduced sodium phosphate blends.
- Delivers equivalent yield in processed meats
- Same water activity as salt
- Stable in emulsions and comminuted products
- Promotes functional protein extraction
The right formulation can control functionality, inhibit bitter notes and reduce food safety concerns. Reduced sodium can actually mean improved flavor in Milk beverages and Chocolate. Processed cheese products tend to be softer when compared to a version with sodium, which can cause problems with slicing/shredding. Crystal formation can also occur. It is also possible to experience some flavor impact such as bitter/metallic when replacing sodium salts.
- Excellent flavor in cheese and dairy products
- Formulation assistance available to optimize end product melt and texture
- Fully soluble in liquid milk products and beverages
- Sodium reduction for tomato/vegetable-based beverages and fruit concentrates
- Potassium ions for electrolyte replacement
- Products that are fully soluble in beverages while providing heart-healthy minerals magnesium and potassium
- Potassium based systems for buffering and stability
As experts in chemical leavening we understand the rate of reaction and technology of the different leavening acids so that we can adequately adapt formulations for optimal performance when reducing sodium. Depending on the application and the leavening requirements – fast acting, time based, or heat activated, we can assist with formulation adjustments or new formula development.
RESULTS YOU CAN SEE:
- Excellent flavor in baked goods
- No impact on dough mixing and handling
- Versatility in granulations allows for consistency in bakery mixes
- Fine to medium granulations suitable for topical applications such as crackers, chips, etc.